Volunteering at Genesee Hill
The success of Genesee Hill Elementary depends on our community: teachers, staff, PTA and volunteers. The school relies on all of us contributing in small and large ways, and the beginning of the school year is a critical time.
If you are interested in volunteering on a regular basis or have further questions, please email Renee Bibaud at email@example.com
Make sure you have completed all the volunteer requirements. Please sign in at the front desk using Help Counter and print a badge as this will also help us get your hours counted.
Learn how to become a volunteer on the SPS website.
- Background check form
- Copy of Driver’s License
- Initialed volunteer handbook form agreement and application.
- Adult Sexual Misconduct Prevention – online course
The background check and Driver?s license must be completed EVERY year. Sexual Harassment training only needs to be completed once during your time at Genesee Hill.
Please visit the Genesee Hill PTA Blog for volunteer opportunities inside the school and sign ups for current events and PTA needs.
How to Apply to Volunteer with Seattle Public Schools
Why Volunteer in Your Child’s School?
- Higher grades, test scores & graduation rates
- Better attendance
- Increased motivation & self-esteem
Checklist for New Volunteers
Visit our volunteer website to:
- Review volunteer handbook
- Complete online training
- Apply securely online
- Background check required
Questions? Contact your school office or visit Volunteer
Additional Steps for Certain Volunteer Roles
The following volunteer roles require a national background check, regardless of how long the volunteer has resided in Washington:
- Unsupervised volunteers who work with children regularly (including remote/virtual volunteers).
- Volunteers chaperoning overnight field trips longer than three days.
- Volunteers involved in any sports or gym activities coordinated by the school (for Athletics see *).
If situations 2 or 3 apply to you, visit the volunteer website to learn more.
* Important: Athletic coaches must apply via SPS Athletics Department.
All gym and sports volunteers must be current on CPR, First Aid, Sudden Cardiac Arrest and Concussion Courses.
Field trip volunteers supervise students. Once approved to volunteer, request additional forms from the field trip organizer to review and acknowledge your important responsibilities.
Keeping Students Safe
Child Abuse Prevention
Nationally, one in four girls and one in six boys are sexually abused before age 18. Volunteers help to protect children by learning to recognize and report potential abuse.
At SPS, each volunteer completes an online Sexual Misconduct Prevention training before start of their service.
Criminal Background Check
- If you have lived in Washington State for the past three (3) years, SPS will complete your state background check at no cost to you.
- If you came to Washington from another state in the past three years, you will need to purchase a one-time national background check.
New or newly returned to the U.S.?
Visit the SPS Volunteer page for more information.
Why is there a fee for out-of-state background checks?
Unlike our state, the federal government does not provide schools with free screening tools. SPS selected a vendor to offer secure, affordable background checks for the volunteers who need them ($21 in most cases).
Frequently Asked Questions
I completed an online application in 2021. Do I have to reapply this year?
Your online application is on file so please do not create a new application. On your second volunteer anniversary, you will receive an email with log-in instructions to renew your application.
Can I use my smart phone to apply?
Our online volunteer application is smart-phone friendly.
Thank you for helping create safe schools, and for your generous donation of time and talent!